The shaken refreshment
Have you always wanted to feel like James Bond in a relaxed situation – but without alcohol? Coffee experts have known this feeling since they started drinking Caffè Shakerato. This coffee pleasure is the epitome of an Italian iced coffee drink. Come with us into a shaken coffee culture.
Remember: You can always check our shop page for our recommended products that we tested ourselves. We’ve tested espresso makers, espresso machines both fully automatic and portafilters, coffee beans and coffee utensils.
Fresh and creamy with a Mediterranean touch
With a Caffè Shakerato you can defy the summer heat with a noble, creamy soft drink, because the coffee is a delicious cold refreshment. Three ingredients are sufficient:
1. Espresso coffee
2. Ice cubes
3. A little sugar.
Shake everything vigorously in the shaker, the summer heat is not only bearable, it even gets a Mediterranean touch. It can therefore be very easy to enjoy the Italian coffee culture on the balcony at home. We show you how it works.
Which espresso bean guarantees a refreshing Caffè Shakerato?
To shake a perfect Caffè Shakerato, you need an aromatic espresso. In addition, the consistency and color of the crema should be compact and velvety. This will make you an experienced barista at home too. For a good espresso and a suitable crema, we recommend the following coffees:
- Danesi Caffè Espresso. Its strong and intense aroma, with a hint of almond scent, makes it a top class espresso. The dense, reddish-brown crema gives the Caffè Shakerato a charming expression.
- Even the Pellini Espresso is a coffee that is excellent for its elegance and its uniqueness.
Its balanced and mild taste, combined with fruity aromas, makes it the perfect basis for a Caffè Shakerato.
- Last but not least, the Kimbo Espresso is also one of the selected bases of a shaken soft drink.
Its soft but very intense aroma gives this espresso a taste of structure and depth.
Equipped with an aromatic espresso, you only need a coffee shaker. But you can also use a well-closable glass container. However, you should make sure beforehand that there are no more foreign odors in the glass.
Discover our coffees of the test winners
Recipe: How to create a perfect Caffè Shakerato
- 6-8 ice cubes (depending on size and preference)
- 50 ml aromatic espresso (this corresponds to a double espresso)
- 1-2 teaspoons of sugar
Preparation (in bullet points):
- Pre-cool the shaker a little in the freezer
- Fill it with the ice cubes
- Put the sugar in the hot espresso to make it dissolve faster
- Now pour the espresso over the ice cubes
- Close the shaker and shake everything vigorously. To get a perfect crema, you should shake the mixture vigorously for at least 15 seconds, better is 30 seconds.
- Serve the Caffè Shakerato like a barista in a cocktail or wine glass.
Variations of the Caffè Shakerato
As with many other delicacies, the same applies to the Caffè Shakerato: “What you like counts”. With this motto, this soft drink can be varied with a wide variety of ingredients. If you want to try a little change from the original recipe, then try the following variants.
Caffè Shakerato also tastes refined …
… .. with syrup
With this variant, fill the coffee shaker with the ice cubes and the sweetened espresso as usual. Now add a splash of syrup, for example caramel syrup. Shake as usual.
… .. with brown sugar
This shaken coffee is also very tasty with brown sugar.
You can also use liquid sugar squirted directly over the ice cubes.
… .. with vanilla extract
A shot of liquid extract made from fine bourbon vanilla gives your coffee a special taste. However, you should be a little careful when adding sugar, as the vanilla itself creates a sweet taste.
… .. for friends of alcohol
Of course, a Caffè Shakerato with a dash of alcohol is also possible. Simply pour a splash of amaretto, vanilla liqueur or a Baileys over the ice cream. This guarantees that you can score extra points in the evening with friends.
… .. with chocolate syrup
In this variant, cool the glass in the refrigerator beforehand.
Before you fill in the ice cubes, use the chocolate syrup to pull a spiral through the glass. Then prepare the Caffè Shakerato as usual.
… .. with vanilla ice cream
The barista only takes half of the ice cubes and replaces the other half with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The espresso is poured over this and shaken as usual.
… .. with homemade lemon syrup
Espresso with lemon, the perfect mix for summer – fresh and fruity. Simmer the lemon syrup a day in advance so that it can really flow through.
- Take 1-2 untreated lemons and peel them very thinly with a vegetable peeler. Cut the peel again into thin strips.
- Then boil a syrup from 250 grams of sugar and 125 ml of water.
- Put the lemon strips in the sugar-water mixture and cook for about 9 minutes.
- Let the finished syrup cool down and put it in the refrigerator.
- Put the lemon syrup you don’t need in a glass, it will easily last a month in the refrigerator.
What is the difference between a Caffè Shakerato and a Caffè Freddo?
Never confuse the Caffè Shakerato with a Caffè Freddo. The difference between the two drinks is that with the Caffè Shakerato, the hot espresso is poured over the ice cubes and then shaken. The ice cream combines particularly intensely with the taste of the espresso.
With the Caffè Freddo, on the other hand, the espresso is cooled beforehand and then mixed with the ice. Caffè Freddo is also often drunk very sweet.
- Caffè Shakerato is a perfect soft drink for the summer. The ideal change on hot days for espresso lovers.
- The only important thing during preparation is that the hot espresso is sweetened and shaken vigorously with the ice. This creates the unmistakable creamy coffee variant that you can expand as you wish.
- The type of coffee is also decisive for the Caffè Shakerato. Use a bean with a strong and intense aroma, preferably with a touch of fruity taste.
- Served in a cocktail glass, your friends will visit you often during the summer. Because what is special is known to be extravagance, and it has an attractive effect.